So, in the interests of perking up this journal a bit, a lyrics quiz!
Santa was very nice to me indeed, and brought me an mp3 player (in perfect honesty, I was expecting Santa to bring me a coupon for half the cost, so was both surprised and pleased by the gift) -- a Creative Zen Touch -- and it is now my constant companion. The sound quality is quite good indeed (although I need to get better headphones in order to appreciate it properly), and I am completely enamoured with the ability to carry all my music around with me, so that I can instantly satisfy a craving to hear -- well, any of the wacky eclectic stuff I have loaded on there.
I've got about 90% of my music collection on there now, which seems like a pretty reasonable sample for a quiz, so here goes. Ten random tracks*, instrumental and single-lyric electronica excluded, and no duplicate artists. I'll pick a line or two of lyrics for each of them (lyrics not to include the song title), and you guess the artist and song. I'm going to try screening comments so as to allow everyone a fair chance to guess, and I'll put the answers up in a few days.
1. While the pale moon was sinking, I lay there drinking / And listening to my heart
2. You see 'em drop like flies from the bright sunny skies
3. Never going back and forth, I'm only going forward is what I keep saying
4. Catching Stupid's arrows in my teeth / Seeing what I'm not supposed to see
5. You can look at yourself / you can look at each other / you can look at the face, the face of your god
6. If you'd left me ground to stand on / I'd run so far away from you
7. I think about a teacup, suspended and half-served / And all the scholars know is that it's perfectly preserved
8. Angelic when wet, I just want to go down
9. The big fish eat the little ones
10. I'm helplessly happy you're happy, I just don't want to know
11. Sometimes, I slip inside the imagery and / The last thing that's on my mind's / The first thing I'll do each time
12. All anybody really wants to know is, when you gonna come down?
13. I am human and I need to be loved / Just like everybody else does
14. Between the smoke trails of aircraft, the kite tails and light shafts / There's a language in the sky
15. I won't be made useless, won't be idle with despair
16. Maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both grow old / Well I don't know I don't know I don't know I hope so
17. If you're a thought / you will want me to think you / and I do
18. But I can't live forever, I can't always be / One day I'll be sand on the beach by the sea
19. In my head, listening to windchimes / Married a fool, I know
20. In the days, the golden days / When everybody knew what they wanted
*ETA: Due to the extreme difficulty (as in, I doubt I'd be able to identify them) of most of the first ten songs served up by the machine, I've decided to give you twenty songs to guess. 'Cause I'm nice like that. ;)